Love music but worried it’s too late to learn how to play? Good news: music lessons aren’t just for kids, and it’s never too late to explore a new passion! Here’s five GREAT reasons to enroll in music lessons this year
1. It’s good for you! Really, really good for you, actually: enrolling in music lessons can help prevent hearing loss, improve joint dexterity, and relieve general aches and pains.
Need more incentive to enroll in a music class? A study from the Music Making and Wellness Project revealed that adults participating in music lessons see a 90% increase in HgH (human growth hormone) levels. HgH is often referred to the “anti-aging hormone,” since it helps the body regenerate cells and slows the muscle aging process, especially in older adults. So until someone actually finds the Fountain of Youth, music lessons might just be the best way to turn back time.
2. Music helps you make (and keep) Memories: Researchers from the University of South Florida tracked adult music students and non-students over the course of six months. During that time, the music students made significant gains in memory retention. Similar studies correlate music study with preventing Alzheimer’s and Dementia, which proves that it’s never too late to learn (and remember) something new!
3. You’ll stress less and sleep better: Our world is increasingly busy, with more and more daily stressors with fewer opportunities to recharge. Fortunately, music lessons help relieve stress, reduce anxiety, and can help you sleep better after a long day. Remember, you can’t help others without helping yourself first, so if you’re interested in pursuing music lessons, remember that learning something new is a great form of self-care!
4. Need to supercharge your smarts? Music helps. Adult music students report noticing better concentration after just a few weeks, which makes sense since many researchers believe learning an instrument helps increase brain activity and function. Essentially, music lessons are like going to the Gym for your brain— without having to wait your turn for the elliptical machine.
5. You’ll find your people: Whether you are taking lessons as a way to bond with your kids or grandchildren, looking for a new community of like-minded friends, or hoping to connect with a fantastic teacher, music lessons can open up your world to a whole new community. No matter what your ability level, you’ll meet the perfect group of friends for checking out the music community welcomes everyone!
The benefits of adult music lessons can be seen in nearly every aspect of your life, so let us help you find the perfect music teacher to help you discover your inner musician. You, your hearing, memory, brain, overall health, and relationships won’t regret it!